Projects

I feel like I’ve been recovering from the Art Fair for a long time! But really, I’m sure the recovery didn’t take that long; after recovered I was just enjoying doing other projects. That is: not sewing!

But I’m gearing up again for a busy fall and finishing up a few outstanding projects.  The first was replacing a coat lining. It was a wool coat with one of those pathetic satin-type linings that wear out and shred to pieces – you know, the standard lining in coats these days? I carefully removed the whole lining and took mental notes on how the lining had been put together and put into the coat. I ironed out the pieces, pinned them to the new fabric, and cut out new pieces.

 

 

Here’s a close-up where you can see the shredded arm pit region:

 

I have to admit I’m always surprised when these things turn out. I actually know what I’m doing!! Or at least, I was lucky? Anyway, I got the lining sewed back in, the sleeves were long enough, and it turned out pretty nice.

 

 

 

Yes, I even sewed the care instructions back in right where they had been.  =)

 

Next projects? Replacing a coat zipper (doesn’t seem like a fun photo essay though) and making some new cushions for a pair of chairs.  The foam is cut out and the top and bottom of each cushion is cut out, with cording sewed on.  I’m just waiting for zippers so I can finish these up. I liked how they’re looking so far.

 

 

 

Just so you know, I did NOT plan for the cording and cushion patterns to match up perfectly… it just sort of happened that way. =)

After this I’ve got a lot of sheep tea cozies to make. Those fuzzy tea warmers are needed everywhere!

Mark your calendars for my upcoming shows this fall/winter and I’ll give more details later:

  • November 9-10, Craftastic in south Minneapolis
  • November 17, Green Gifts Fair in south Minneapolis at the Midtown Global Exchange
  • December 15, Women’s Art Festival in south Minneapolis at the YWCA

Yep, I prefer shows that are no more than 10 or 15 blocks from my house.  It narrows the options, but there are some good ones even in that area. Alright – back to sewing!

Advertisements

Another fix-it project

An acquaintance wanted me to fix a coat she had. It was her favorite and she’d had it for years so of course it was quite worn. Actually, the outside was mostly fine; it was the lining she was concerned about. It was made of shoddy material. Here is a scrap of the sleeve lining I took out:

Threadbare and shredded on the bottom. Most of the lining was like this. Ack!

The owner had started on making a new lining but gave up. She handed over a bag of silk scraps and the partially made lining and I set to work!

Success! My favorite part was learning how to do these little pockets. I’ve never done ones like this before (I don’t even know what the technical sewing term is for them).

Most of the repair projects I have now aren’t that interesting – just patches and zipper fixes. Of course I’ve got other sewing projects going on – but I can’t tell you about them until after Christmas!! =)