Two down, one to go

I got the second of three quilts done that I mentioned earlier.

I love how it turned out. Thank goodness for the women at my local quilt shop. They are so good at helping people find just the right fabrics to coordinate with any project. I found the green border color and couldn’t figure out what to use for the outer border. They turned up the cute blue fabric with all the multi-colored squares. Perfect match.

A little more procrastination

I did another little procrastination project over the weekend. I’ve been wanting to make something like this for some time.

The first Christmas present Jeremy got me was a stack of fabric and a couple ideas for quilt patterns (so sweet, isn’t he!?).

I’ve been carrying that fabric around for years! I’ve been wanting to make him something out of it and recently it seemed like a good idea to make a little cover for his bedside table – to protect it from spilled glasses of water or whatnot.

Here are the pieces laid out:

And then, fast forward, all sewed together, quilted, and finished!

It looks very nice on his table – and he was very surprised when he came home and found it!

In other news, I finished one of the three quilts I was working on recently:

It’s rather stunning, I think. And it’s on Etsy!

A new, old ironing board

Maybe that title should be “making something crappy, not crappy.” ‘Cause crappy is the nicest way to describe my ironing board. I’ve had it for years and it shows. The cloth is threadbare and kind of looks burned in some spots. I’ve accidentally cut through it in a number of spots. The batting layer (between the cover and the metal grate of the board) is threadbare itself, even though I’ve put in more layers. Sometimes when I’m ironing that metal grate pattern is transfered to whatever I’m ironing. Argh! And for some reason there is a huge dent in it which means I don’t have much of a flat surface.

So, I drew up my plans.

First step, I had my hubby cut a piece of wood to attach to the frame.

Voila!

Next, I cut a piece of batting (the 80/20 stuff) to fit over the top.

Then I cut a piece of fabric to go over that and pinned the whole thing together. I think people often use muslin, but I had a nice big piece of white fabric so that’s what I used.

I sewed around the whole thing, just to keep the two layers together. Not a pretty job, but no one is going to see it. Then I made these marks at intervals along both of the long sides.

I sewed zig-zag stitches around these to make button holes.

Then I put the fabric on the ironing board and used some old twine to lace it together. I cinched it tight so the cover won’t be riding around on the board.

And, voila! A new top for my ironing board!

What is really nice about this is that I can actually iron a yard (or more) of fabric. A standard ironing board is pointed at the end (for pants or sleeves) so you really don’t get that much space to iron a big piece of fabric. I hate ironing only one half of a piece of fabric, turning it over and ironing the other half.

Now my board is big enough to have some project laid out AND have the iron AND some pins or scissors or something.

Ah, the simple pleasures in life.

Circles, squares, and triangles

I’ve got three little quilts in process.

The oldest is this very simple pinwheel quilt with cute little bugs. This originally started out (about two years ago) as two little pillows. But then I realized no one buys pillows, so instead of finishing them I made one more square and sewed the whole thing together as a quilt. It is quite small though – about 24″ square. I had a little bug material left for a border (as you can see) and I picked up some more fabric for more borders. I have one more border to add, then quilting and finishing.

Next:

You might recognize this from last year. It’s not the same quilt though. This new one is much smaller and made from the leftover scraps of the other one. For this quilt I cut squares and then cut circles out of the middle. Then I sew the opposite color into the circle. What to do with all the circles I’ve got left over? This quilt! Now there are left-over circles from this quilt, but I think they’re just the right size for some yo-yos. I just got some border and backing fabric for this one, so that has to go on, then the quilting and finishing.

And lastly:

This was sort of a boredom project. I needed fabric and thread for all the other projects on my plate and the fabric store was closed. And I’ve been thinking a lot about how to use up all the scraps and bits I’ve got. (Tons of scraps!) I rather like the way this turned out, though I’m still thinking about whether to make it a little less rectangular. And I don’t know if it will get a border or not. I’ve kind of been into borders lately, so it probably will get one. And then, the refrain, quilting and finishing!

It’s hard to get up the energy to do creative homesteady things when it looks like this outside:

Okay, it’s not as bad as that anymore. This is from our big snowstorm last month. But still – ’tis the season for snuggling up inside with a hot drink and a good book – not working feverishly on the homestead!